Book end

 My most ambitious product is the idea of doing a book end. My idea was to create a right angled wooden base and then create a model that can be 3D printed and attached to the base. The design was going to be as if the Giant crab was climbing up the side of your books, here is a simple illustration to demonstrate.



Unfortunately, after going to speak to the 3D printing guys to ask about the process and the cost I found that on my current budget this simply wasn't going to be possible, not even just the one product even. The crab itself was going to cost £30+ to 3D print and that would be assuming I only had to do the one attempt which with something complex is a risk. Then I would also need to invest in the wood base and although this would be a smaller cost it was still not going to be possible because I would have no money left. I am aware I could have created models by hand and just make a few but to be honest I was concerned that I would not have time to do this now after spending time on this idea and I wanted to make sure I had more than one product to sell. I also was not confident in my ability to produce multiple sculptures worth buying when I haven't touched modelling clay in years.

Back to the drawing board then I came up with a new design for a book end. I decided I could go for a book shaped book end that could either have a piece of wood to prop it up on one side or could be used as a divider for a bookshelf. Here is a simple illustration of what I came up with.

As you can see its like a classic book shape make of wood and then the image on the front and the text on the spine will be laser engraved onto it. I now need to look into how to do these things and the costs of doing so. I also need to produce the design for the cover.


Comments